10 Ways To A Bulletproof Marketing Strategy
If you’re like most marketers, you have a distinct method to your marketing madness—the questions you think about when you’re revising your website, rethinking your social media strategy, or even just putting together some ideas for a new brochure. Most of us start with the usual suspects:
Whom am I talking to?
What do I want to say?
What do I want to accomplish?
They’re all solid. But today, we’re going to step it up and share a system that’s been gaining momentum in marketing departments and agencies across the country. Answer these, and you’ll craft an ironclad marketing direction—one that’s clear, has fewer revision cycles and yields a much higher, and creative, product. Ready?
- What’s the challenge? This seemingly simple first question does some serious heavy lifting, because it defines the problem you’re facing. An example? “Our competition is snatching customers from us left and right – how do we get them back?” This question sets the course for everything, so give it careful thought and answer it as directly and singularly as you can.
- Whose perceptions matter? In other words, define your target audience. Paint a crystal clear picture of the single person you want to reach. Think about what’s important to him/her. Put on their shoes, and take a nice long walk in them. If you have some research to back it up, all the better. Insight is the key to creating something that connects.
- What does your target audience think? Does your audience have any inkling of what you’re about to say to them? Do they care? Whatever their view is—from fascinated to indifferent—knowing where your audience’s head is at is critical to creating something that speaks to them.
- What should your target audience think? Define your “walk away” message—the one thing you’d like them to remember.
- What’s happening in the industry right now? This is all about the big trends driving your industry at the moment. How are those trends affecting your neck of the woods? Knowing the landscape will help you craft messages that are fresh, different and interesting.
- What’s your brand about, really? Remember what Charles Revlon said: “In the factory we make cosmetics. In the store, we sell hope.” How does your brand connect? Make sure that DNA is in everything you produce. Whatever it is, it should look and sound like it absolutely, positively comes from you.
- What will you tell your target audience? This is the nuts and bolts of what you want to cover: the who, what, where, why and when of your communication. Just keep it interesting, reader-focused, and benefit driven.
- How will you tell them? This question covers the method you will use for your communication. It could be an eye-grabbing ad, a compelling blog, a comical YouTube video. Your target audience should determine what medium you will use, not the latest flashy trend.
- What’s the rallying cry? This is your call-to-action, which can range from someone just reading what you have to say to placing an order. Whatever you’re calling for, make it clear, easy and specific.
- How will it do? Set up metrics ahead of time to measure your success. That could be clicks, calls, views or any number of methods. Before you know it, you’ll have a track record and a mountain of useful data.
Do yourself, and your marketing, a favor:
Print these questions, and keep them handy. You’ll find that the way they’re worded will help you quickly and effectively define what you have to do and how to do it. It’s a great beginning to great marketing.
CI-Group, a New Jersey advertising agency, provides digital marketing and advertising consulting to Fortune 2000 companies in a wide range of industries. Founded nearly 30 years ago and based in Whitehouse, N.J., CI-Group is recognized as a top advertising agency specializing in marketing strategies, event marketing, promotions, direct marketing, digital printing, warehousing and fulfillment. Companies seeking an award-winning interactive agency that merges creative strategies with effective tactics should call 908-534-6100 or visit www.ci-group.com.
[gravityform id=”1″ name=”How Can we Help you? Contact Us at (908) 691-2010″]